From December 15-17, 2015, over 400 people representatives from Shan State presented the book of `The Voice of Shan State People for Peace and Transition to Democracy” at the forum bearing the same name as the book. (see www.myanmarpeoplealliance.net for the book)
The Shan State people presented their problems and experiences regarding land, natural resources and governance. They presented proposals for change to a better future.
This statement is based on the book of `The Voice of Shan State People for Peace and Transition to Democracy’ and resulted from the Forum bearing the same name.
We, the people of Shan State want the government:
1. To respectfully recognize that people are the source of power;
2. To collaborate with Shan State people in the transition to a federal democratic state;
3. To work for peace, justice, equality and freedom for all through;
a. Holding a national dialogue for peace in which all ethnic armed groups and the people can participate;
b. Participation of Shan State people in decision making and implementing decisions on development projects that impact on local communities, to guarantee the life security, wishes and needs of communities.
Therefore we need:
4. Directly elected representatives on every level of the government;
5. Directly elected representatives to have regular meetings and consultations with the people they represent;
6. To create mechanisms so that the people and the government can collaborate;
7. The voices and suggestions of Shan State people to be heard in the National Dialogue and the Peace Process.
Myanmar People Alliance, Taunggyi.
More on MPA under current projects – 2015 (click here